Wednesday 17 February 2016

The Orca From Jaws

The Hi All

I have been wanting to build the boat from jaws for a number of years now, but never found the time
until now. i looked all over the Internet for plans on this project but really struggled to find something that i could use i eventually stumbled across this site http://www.airagestore.com/plans/rc-boats/scale/the-orca-fishing-boat.html so i placed my order it took a while to come through as it was from the USA.
Finally the day arrived and i had my plans, the wife thought i was mad, i looked over them for a few weeks before i started to see the best way to begin.

The Beginning

The plans are very good quality, i chose not to cut out the templates on the plans and to use tracing paper and then transfer them to 3mm plywood. Unfortunately i only started taking pictures once the hull section was built.
HULL SECTION GLUED TOGETHER



Once the main interior bulk heads were all glued together, i started to glue the outer pieces of ply to the bulkheads. i ended up making a small jig which was a flat piece of wood with holes drilled into it, which i could insert dowels to help bend the ply prior to me fixing them as on my first attempt the wood simply snapped, so the jig is worth building.Now i am not going to bore you all with the rest so take a look at the next few pictures to see the progress so far














 I still have a long way to go yet starting with the bow section and getting the bowsprit constructed and a lot more detail to add that's after i have watched the film again!
check back later for the finished boat

Ok further developments 
I was going to make the barrels by hand but then decided to pull in a favour and got a friend to make them on his 3D printer the results were great.







5 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I'm looking for 3D shots of the yellow barrels from the Teeth of the Sea movie.
    I saw that one of your friends printed them for you.
    Could you give me the internet link so that I can reproduce them.
    I thank you in advance.
    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Absolutely stunning work!! I have purchased plans for this boat for my own build and can't wait to get started. It will be my first "scratch" boat build. I can only hope it comes out half as good as yours did!
    Again, EXCELLENT work on your Orca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely AMAZING work!! Your attention to detail is superb, right down to the cabin interior.
    I ordered plans for this boat last week and can't wait to get to work. It'll be my first "scratch" boat build. I only hope it comes out half as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job of building this iconic boat. If you ever get the urge to sell it I would be interested. Until then I’ll continue to enjoy the photos!

    ReplyDelete